Full course description
AU21 Dates: September 6, 2021 - December 10, 2021 (14-weeks)
Registration Deadline: September 3, 2021
Refund Deadline: September 5, 2021
CEs: 62 available
Fee: $900.00 (Discounted 25% for all participants, which includes new Ethics and Supervision modules)
Social Workers, Counselors, Human Service Workers, Health Care Providers
With more than 22 million veterans in the United States, the need to understand the issues these Veterans and their families face is great. Serving Veterans and their Families Certificate is a post-graduate, 14-week, hybrid, online program for social workers, nurses, therapists and others interested in learning more about how to serve Veterans and their families.
All course materials are included with each week’s module. Additionally, there are three opportunities to connect in real time with your instructor and other course participants via a web-based platform. If you are unable to participate in a live session, don’t worry, they are recorded and can be viewed when it fits your schedule. Course materials, lectures and learning activities are released early each week and can be completed at any time during a one-week window.
- Gain understanding of military structure and culture, and explore the differences between military branches across eras.
- Examine the readjustment process for veterans and families, focusing on a person-in-the-environment perspective
- Interpret physical strengths, deficits and chronic challenges for both short-term and long-term functioning during military service
- Evaluate common behavioral health issues facing veterans and their families; factors that enhance successful outcomes and wellness
- Examine the role of spirituality in veteran functioning and the concept of moral injury
- Appraise veteran social functioning across social systems (i.e., home, friendship, work) appreciating interactive influences
- Identify and use resources for Veterans and their families
Continuing Education Classifications
To receive credit, participants must complete all coursework including readings, discussions, outside assignments, and evaluations.
- 62 CE clock hours available, which includes 3-hours of Ethics and 3-hours of Supervision from new self-paced modules.
- Meets requirements for OCSWMFT Board in Ethics (3-hours) and Supervision (3-hours)
- Meets requirements for OCDP Board in
- P1 - Planning & Evaluation (3-hours)
- CC - Cultural Competence in Prevention (3-hours)
- Formerly P8
- C1 - Theories of Addiction (4-hours)
- C7 - Prevention Strategies (4-hours)
- S4 - Performance Evaluation (3-hours)
The Ohio State University College of Social Work is an approved provider of the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Work and Marriage & Family Therapist Board. Provider Number: RCST111747
The Ohio State University College of Social Work is an approved provider of the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board. Provider Number: 50-24068
New ScarletCanvas User?
We recommend that you review the guidance below prior to the start of the course. It will help you navigate the course. Please refer back to these links as needed throughout your time in the course.
- ScarletCanvas Browser & Computer Requirements
- Use Chrome browser for Windows and MacOS (make sure both the browser and your computer OS are current and do not need updating).
- Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge do not seem to be compatible.
- If you experience issues with the CAPTCHA (I’m not a robot verification) upon registration, we have found it resolves itself when using a current Chrome browser.
- Set up messages from Canvas Catalog at firstname.lastname@example.org as a trusted/whitelisted email address in your email contacts, so that our messages/announcements aren't routed to your Junk/Spam folder.
- Messages sent to you via this system will list Canvas Catalog as the Sender, not OSU CSW.
- If you are licensed by The State of Ohio CSWMFT Board, please be sure to enter your full license number in the Professional License Information field upon registration and/or when completing the training evaluation or your participation will not be reported to CE Broker.
- Need to look up your full license number? Visit State of Ohio eLicense Verification
- After you enroll you will receive two automated emails, one with the subject "Please confirm your email address - Ohio State ScarletCanvas." Use the link in that email to set up the password you would like to use for your account.
- Canvas Student Guides - Link to all Student Guides, Videos, App Guides, & Troubleshooting
- Catalog HT Complete Your Registration
- Catalog Dashboard (Students)
- Canvas Overview (Students)
- Quizzes (Students)
- Catalog HT Collect Your Certificate
- Canvas Reset Password (Students)
We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, to engage fully. If you require an accommodation to participation in this course, please contact CSW Accessibility at email@example.com or call 614-688-1657.
The Ohio State University, College of Social Work, Office of Continuing Education, 302 Stillman Hall, 1947 College Road, Columbus OH, 43210. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: csw.osu.edu/continuing-education/