Full course description
First Time Using ScarletCanvas?
- Use Chrome browser for Windows and MacOS (make sure both the browser and your computer OS are current and do not need updating).
- Avoid Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, as they do not seem to be compatible.
- If you experience issues with the CAPTCHA (I’m not a robot verification) upon registration, we have found it resolves itself when using a current Chrome browser.
- ScarletCanvas Browser & Computer Requirements
- Set up messages from Canvas Catalog at email@example.com as a trusted/whitelisted email address in your email contacts, so that our messages/announcements don't end up in your Junk/Spam folder.
- Messages sent to you via this system will list Canvas Catalog as the Sender, not OSU CSW.
- After you enroll you will receive two automated emails, one with the subject "Please confirm your email address - Ohio State ScarletCanvas." Use the link in that email to set up the password you would like to use for your account.
This free, 2-hour training features one module with an edited recording of a live CareLine training that was first held as a Zoom Webinar on August 18th, 2021.
Trauma-Informed Care is an approach to caring for someone which understands how “what has happened to a person” impacts his or her behavior and mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health and wellbeing. Individual experiences of trauma or numerous adverse childhood experiences can have lasting effects on the way a person thinks and behaves, triggering the fear-center of the brain, and causing the person to live in chronic, toxic stress. Living in this hyper-state of fear and stress can have a severe negative impact on a person’s mental, physical, and emotional health, as well as result in the person experiencing challenges navigating the complex mental health system. A trauma-informed approach seeks to establish a setting which replaces fear and toxic stress with a sense of safety and support. This training will provide an overview of the impact of trauma and the stress response system on an individual’s functioning with a key focus on trauma-informed guidelines for stabilization, intervention and resolution of a crisis to enhance coping skills, promotion of a sense of control and self-efficacy, and the provision of support for problem-solving and gaining access to required services and supports.
- Increase understanding of the prevalence, characteristics and impact of trauma on individuals.
- Understand the neurobiology of trauma and how the stress response system impacts functioning.
- Identify and apply trauma-informed strategies for deescalating crisis situations and working with people who are emotionally distressed.
Continuing Education Classifications
- Two (2) CE clock hours
- Meets requirements for CSWMFT Board
- Meet requirements for CDP Board in Treatment (C1) & Prevention (P6)
The Ohio State University College of Social Work is an approved provider of the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Work and Marriage & Family Therapist Board. Provider Number: RCST111747
The Ohio State University, College of Social Work is an approved provider for the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board. Provider Number: 50-24068
We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, to engage fully. If you require an accommodation to participation in this course, please contact CSW Accessibility at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 614-688-1657.
The Ohio State University, College of Social Work, Office of Continuing Education, 302 Stillman Hall, 1947 College Road, Columbus OH, 43210. Phone: 614-292-3032 Email: email@example.com Website: csw.osu.edu/continuing-education/