Full course description
First Time Using ScarletCanvas?
- Use Chrome browser for Windows and MacOS (make sure both the browser and your computer OS are current and do not need updating).
- Avoid Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, as they do not seem to be compatible.
- If you experience issues with the CAPTCHA (I’m not a robot verification) upon registration, we have found it resolves itself when using a current Chrome browser.
- ScarletCanvas Browser & Computer Requirements
- Set up messages from Canvas Catalog at firstname.lastname@example.org as a trusted/whitelisted email address in your email contacts, so that our messages/announcements don't end up in your Junk/Spam folder.
- Messages sent to you via this system will list Canvas Catalog as the Sender, not OSU CSW.
- After you enroll you will receive two automated emails, one with the subject "Please confirm your email address - Ohio State ScarletCanvas." Use the link in that email to set up the password you would like to use for your account.
This free, 3-hour training features one module with an edited recording of a live CareLine Development training that was recorded as a Zoom Webinar on May 19, 2021.
When someone calls a help line for support, they often have needs that fall into the following categories: a need for support and connection with another human being; a need for emotional ventilation; a need for specific information and/or resources; a need for immediate help to cope with a crisis; a need for safety and wellbeing. To be effective in meeting a diversity of caller needs, phone line workers require multiple skillsets. This training focuses on identifying and describing how to refine basic skills of crisis intervention including: the skillset of being able to remain grounded and calm on the phone lines despite the energy level of the caller; the ability to quickly establish rapport; the ability to quickly assess what the callers immediate needs or wants are that had them call the help line in the first place; the ability to partner with callers to explore alternatives and problem solutions; the ability to safety plan; and the ability to critical analyze ethical dilemmas that may arise in their work on the phone lines. Participants will leave this training with refined knowledge and an opportunity to develop skills for effective phone line work.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe common elements of crisis intervention models that can inform their role providing crisis support on the phone lines.
- Identify strategies and skills they can continue to develop to effectively support individuals dealing with specific crisis themes.
- Use the Reamer Model of Ethical Decision making to work through ethical dilemma scenarios that could happen while serving someone in crisis on the phone lines.
Continuing Education Classifications
- Three (3) CE clock hours
- Meets requirements for CSWMFT Board
- Meet requirements for CDP Board in Treatment (C2) and Prevention (P6)
The Ohio State University College of Social Work is an approved provider of the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Work and Marriage & Family Therapist Board. Provider Number: RCST111747
The Ohio State University, College of Social Work is an approved provider for the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board. Provider Number: 50-24068
We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, to engage fully. If you require an accommodation to participation in this course, please contact CSW Accessibility at email@example.com or call 614-688-1657.
The Ohio State University, College of Social Work, Office of Continuing Education, 302 Stillman Hall, 1947 College Road, Columbus OH, 43210. Phone: 614-292-3032 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: csw.osu.edu/continuing-education/